One of the most popular additions to the TomTom VIA series, the 1605TM takes the features from other TomTom devices and puts them in a much bigger, stripped-down navigation unit. TomTom has produced many popular navigation units over the past few years, and the VIA 1605TM combines simplicity, safety, and convenience into one easy-to-use GPS system. You don’t need any previous experience with GPS systems to operate the VIA 1605TM. Once you plug in the address the GPS does all the heavy lifting for you, taking much of the stress out of driving.
The TomTom VIA 1605TM is quite popular with people who drive larger vehicles. The large screen and intuitive design works well in a truck, RV or van. There’s a lot of space between the driver and his GPS in a truck or RV, so the enhanced screen design gives the driver a better driving experience. Drivers don’t want to constantly fiddle with buttons over a long drive, so the TomTom VIA 1605TM is a great choice because at the push of a button it will direct you on your entire trip without interruption.
- The TomTom VIA 1605TM is a wireless GPS-enabled vehicle navigation device
- It weighs 9.4 ounces
- Measures 6.2 inches by 1.4 inches by 4.2 inches
- The touchscreen display is six inches wide from corner to corner
- The screen displays at a resolution of WVGA 800 x 480 pixels
- The TomTom VIA 1605TM comes preloaded with detailed maps of the United States, Canada, and Mexico
- The windscreen mount is integrated into the back of the GPS
- The GPS comes with a Lithium-ion battery pack that can power the device for over three hours when fully charged
- The batteries can be recharged while the device is still running by using the car charger
- The VIA 1605TM provides you with TomTom Roadside Assistance that can call emergency services in the event of an accident or if you car breaks down
- The GPS comes with a USB cable that can be used to charge the GPS or connect it to TomTom’s map update services
- The device has a small speaker system built into the back of the GPS’s body
- An adhesive disk comes with every TomTom product that can be used to fasten the GPS to the car’s dashboard
- The North America map pack that comes with the TomTom VIA 1605TM can be updated for free if you have TomTom’s Lifetime Traffic and Maps plan
The TomTom VIA 1605TM combines many of the features found in previous models of the VIA into one simple package. One of the most helpful features of the VIA 1605TM that is carried over from other TomTom products is the IQ Routing System. The TomTom VIA 1605TM can access a huge database of travel times and road data to help improve your route. The IQ system will direct you around known trouble areas and keep you on the move. You’ll save on fuel because the IQ system will help keep you out of traffic jams and on well-paved roads. The IQ system will also give you more accurate travel times by crowd sourcing information from other drivers who have taken the same route and analyzing their times.
Advanced Lane Guidance
Driving on unfamiliar roads can be a stressful experience for any driver. Even if they’re using a GPS system, it’s possible to get lost or miss an exit on a crowded highway. TomTom designed the Advanced Guidance System to help drivers get through confusing intersections and unfamiliar freeways without the added stress of missing a turn. The guidance system gives you instructions well before you get to an exit, so you have time to drive over to the correct lane.
Built-In Roadside Assistance
If you’re in an unfamiliar area and need emergency assistance, you can contact emergency services or a towing agency through the TomTom VIA 1605TM. No matter where you are, as long as the GPS unit has a connection you’ll be able to get in contact with whatever agency you need. The TomTom will display your exact location, which will help a towing service or the police find you quickly.
- The TomTom VIA 1605TM’s six-inch screen is very large and easy to read
- An improved screen backlight is very useful for anyone who wears glasses or has trouble seeing well at night
- The mounting system is easy to use and can be implemented quickly
- The mounting can stand up to a lot of abuse without falling over or breaking
- The IQ routing system helps by displaying better routes to and from a location without encroaching on the rest of the device
- The menus are quick and responsive
- You can easily access the help menu, so in the event of an emergency you won’t get bogged down in sub-menus
- The GPS has an improved speedometer that is much more accurate than it was in other TomTom navigation systems
- There aren’t any shortcuts back to the main menu, you have to navigate there from wherever you are in the menu structure
- The TomTom VIA 1605TM has trouble initially connecting to satellites, but after that it works well
- The GPS doesn’t come with a Bluetooth system or direct Internet access
- The GPS doesn’t have any voice activation features
The TomTom VIA 1605TM is a reliable vehicle GPS unit available at a competitive price. Packed with features and extras, the VIA 1605TM bring top-of-the-line quality to a simple navigation system. The design of the TomTom VIA 1605TM enables it to be comfortably used in any type of vehicle without sacrificing any of its user-friendliness. The VIA 1605TM is very popular with purchasers, receiving more five-star reviews than every other rating combined. TomTom has a long history of producing well-made GPS systems that can be purchased at an affordable price. The VIA 1605TM is a great example of TomTom’s design prowess and dedication to making high-quality devices.