As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This is without any additional costs for the buyer but does support us in maintaining our website.
For years, drivers have depended on TomTom’s hands free navigation systems to get them to their destinations quickly and safely. TomTom has built up an international reputation for making some of the best car GPS systems on the market today. The TomTom VIA 1535TM is the newest model in a long line of VIA vehicle navigation systems that TomTom has been producing for almost a decade. The new VIA 1535TM offers advanced navigational features at an unbeatable price and gives the user access to TomTom’s well-regarded GPS mapping system. The TomTom VIA 1535TM’s maps contain over one million extra miles of road in the United States that are not found in other GPS systems.
The TomTom VIA 1535TM comes with a new style of integrated windshield mount that won’t pop off when you make hard turns or speed up suddenly. The mount is linked to the back of the VIA 1535TM and attaches to the windshield via a suction cup. Unlike older models, the suction cup has a screw on the back that you twist to safely and sturdily mount the GPS to the window. This much-needed improvement will also lengthen the life of your TomTom product because your GPS unit won’t constantly be falling onto your dashboard.
- The TomTom VIA 1535TM weighs approximately 7.7 ounces
- Digital screen is five inches wide
- The GPS comes with a built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack that lasts over three hours when fully charged, and can be recharged using the TomTom’s car charger
- The TomTom VIA 1535TM comes with complete maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico
- The GPS comes with built in Bluetooth wireless communication technology so you can connect your smartphone or other mobile device to your GPS
- The VIA 1535TM comes with a built in speaker chipset which allows you to have phone conversations using the GPS as a speakerphone
- The GPS has intuitive voice control features that let you give commands to the GPS without taking your hands off the wheel
- The device comes with four gigabytes of internal memory and has room for an additional SD card that hold downloadable content and additional data
- The VIA 1535TM comes with TomTom’s advanced lane guidance system that helps the user to find the right exit on the highway or go the right way at complicated intersections
- Measures 1.3 inches by 5.3 inches by 3.7 inches
- 480 x 272 pixel display
The VIA 1535TM combines all the features found in previous TomTom products with several new applications that make the VIA 1535TM the best in its class. Sporting a large five-inch-wide screen, you’ll have a clear view of your TomTom even when you’re looking at the road ahead. The large touchscreen helps with typing in information, so it’s easy to select a new destination and receive important data. You’ll able to sit back and focus on driving instead of worrying about your GPS.
Voice Recognition Technology
When you don’t feel like using the TomTom’s touchscreen monitor, you can always tell the GPS what to do just by speaking to it. The ability to keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road helps make your drive safer and less stressful. The VIA 1535TM can understand your spoken commands, even if you use several variations of different commands. For instance, drive to an address, navigate to an address, and go to an address can all be used to the same end.
Advanced Lane Guidance
The VIA 1535TM can guide you through complex intersections and crowded freeways by using TomTom’s patented Lane Guidance program. When you’re approaching your turn or exit, the VIA 1535TM will give you a signal that your exit is coming up, so you have plenty of time to pull to the outside lane.
Points of Interest
TomTom keeps a large database of points of interest from all over North America, so its users can find out where the nearest gas station, restaurant, or ATM is located. With over seven million locations marked out in the United States alone, there are very few locations that can’t be found on TomTom’s Points of Interest map.
- The windshield mount is easy to attach and stays on the windshield even after pulling and pushing on it
- The voice command system is very responsive and maintains a good level of accuracy
- The IQ routes database works better than in older TomTom models, routinely shaving minutes off of already low travel times
- The interface is streamlined and very well laid out
- There are extensive customization options that let you create your own menus and color schemes
- The map share option lets you correct your maps and share the corrections with everyone in your area
- The Bluetooth functions perform very well
- The address input screen lets you type in a city’s zip code instead of having to type in the name and the state
- The navigation is extremely accurate and rarely has trouble dropping you off directly at an address
- You have to buy the lifetime traffic and maps pack to get free map updates and live traffic alerts
- The GPS has known firmware issues that can be updated using
- There isn’t any multi-destination routing
- The VIA 1535TM takes a while to connect to satellites on days with heavy cloud coverage
Well built, reliable, and affordable the TomTom VIA 1535TM is popular with the majority of its users. Over 80 percent of reviewers give the VIA 1535TM a rating of four stars or higher. The VIA 1535TM’s popularity is matched only by its wide array of features.
One of the most technologically advanced navigation systems on the market, the TomTom VIA 1535TM is on the cutting edge. Every feature of the VIA 1535TM is designed to help give the user a safer more enjoyable experience. The VIA 1535TM is high-tech, but doesn’t sacrificing user-friendliness for the sake of having lots of gadgets and gizmos. Both aspects come together to make a well-rounded and reliable navigation device.