With GPS now available in various smartphones and tablets, someone might start to wonder why they should get a car navigation device. Would it not be a waste of money to still purchase a car GPS navigation device when you can easily use your smartphone or tablet for navigation purposes?
First things first, navigating through roads and highways that you that you are unfamiliar with is no easy task. What makes it even more of a difficult task is when you have to constantly pick up the phone or tablet to figure out the roads you have to take. This scenario will probably work for those who drive accompanied but for those who travel alone, it is more difficult and riskier. In some states handheld driving is even prohibited.
Both your smartphone and your navigation device might have more or less the same GPS capabilities but they still work differently. A car GPS navigation device is especially designed and engineered to work in vehicles and for dashboard installation or mounting where it is easily accessible from the driver seat. In addition, car navigation devices can be integrated seamlessly to the vehicle for a more efficient operation.
To help you select the best car navigation device, here are our top choices:
Do we really need we introduce a product of Garmin anymore? It is the best-selling brand as far as navigation devices go and with this Garmin Nuvi 2797LMT, they have once again taken our hearts.
It is regarded as the most advanced navigation system for just about any vehicle today and no one would dare argue with that. It has got detailed maps with free updates, compatible with Bluetooth and smartphone links, gives voice instruction, provides comprehensive driving guidance, and even shows you the traffic situation.
The Garmin Nuvi 2797LMT comes in two types – the basic one with Lifetime Maps only and the other one with Lifetime Maps with Traffic and Bluetooth. Of course, we will say go with the one with the traffic and Bluetooth feature. You know the status of most roads today. Having an overview of the traffic ahead of you lets you take other possible routes and therefore save you from a real traffic headache.
To know more of the Nuvi 2797LMT’s specifications, here are more details:
- Easy-to-use touchscreen interface
- Garmin Real Directions
- Garmin Real Voice guide that uses recognizable buildings and points of interest (POI)
- Bird’s Eye junction views
- Garmin Traffic
- Preloaded City Navigator NT for North America
- Lifetime Maps and Traffic
- Micro-USB Cable
- Up Ahead – shows restaurants, stores, fuel, and hospitals ahead of you
- Active Lane Guidance
- Smarthphone Link – compatible with either iPhone or android phone
- One-Stop Device Management through Garmin Express
- Display size of 7 inches
- Weighs approximately 12.5 ounces
- Measures 4.5 x 0.9 x 7.4 inches
- Comes with a one nonstandard battery
- Battery Life of 2.5 hours
- Comes with quick start manual
- Backed up by a 1-year limited warranty
Customers who have bought this Garmin Nuvi 2797LMT mostly give it an almost perfect rating as it continues to prove why Garmin is such an innovative leader when it comes to GPS navigation systems. From the large screen size up to the customizable features, it is pretty hard not to love this amazingly useful and advanced device.
This stands up amongst the bunch of car navigation devices today as it is both intuitive and robust. It not only provides an accurate map but different routing options as well. This comes preloaded with maps of the whole United States and even Puerto Rico making it a perfect companion for those spur-of-the-moment road trips to nowhere.
Here are more of the details that convinced us that this car navigation system will add more value to everyone’s daily driving experience:
- 7-inch Touchscreen Display for easy visibility
- Display Resolution of WVGA
- Display Type of Color, Transmissive Touchscreen
- GPS Accuracy of 3-5 meters
- High-Sensitivity GPS
- Multidirectional Patch Antenna
- Turn-by-Turn Routing
- Highway Lane Assist
- Multi-Destination Routing
- Smart Detour
- QWERTY/ABC Keyboard
- Landscape/Portrait Mode
- USB Port 2.0
- Audio/Video Input
- PC/MAC Compatible
- MicroSD Slot Expandable Memory
- Internal Memory of 4 GB
- Perfect for cars, RVs, SUVs, and even trucks
- Free Lifetime Map Updates and Traffic Alerts
- Suggests alternative routes in cases of heavy traffic or accidents on the road
- Hands-Free Calling via Bluetooth
- Traffic Camera Alerts by Phantom ALERT (link)
- Landmark guidance
- Weighs only roughly 2 pounds
- Measures 9.4 x 9.4 x 6.1 inches
- Requires 1 720-mAh lithium ion rechargeable battery
- Battery life of 30 minutes
With all the Magellan Roadmate 9465T-LMB’s splendid features, it is not surprising that it got a flawless 5-star rating at Amazon.com by customers who already bought it and experienced how easy navigation is with the help of this device.
Here is another brand that has been increasingly popular when it comes to car navigation devices. With a fully interactive screen, this TomTom Go 600 claims to get you through traffic to your destination the fastest way possible.
Installing this car navigation device is extremely easy yet it works flawlessly. It simply makes everything so convenient that you probably would not find time to hate the traffic and other road problems.
Designed to work for travelling long distances, the TomTom Go 600 comes with a USB cord which basically lets you charge it anywhere. Another great thing about this device is that it is so reasonably priced and in fact way cheaper than the other brands and models we have featured.
Get to know more of the TomTom Go 600’s amazing features:
- TomTom Traffic that provides world-class traffic information
- 0 Capacitive Touch Screen
- 3D Maps that makes up for a stunning view
- Interactive Maps
- Lifetime North America Map Updates
- Lane Guidance (wiki)
- UK, ROI, and Europe Mapping
- Weighs only 10.6 ounces
- Measures 0.9 x 6.7 x 4.1 inches
- Requires 1 lithium ion battery which is already included
- Battery Life of 2.5 hours
- 1-year Limited Warranty
This TomTom Go 600 would be perfect for those who want easy navigation at the cheapest price possible without sacrificing features and quality.
Do not make navigation any harder by trying to rely from the failing mobile signal from your smartphone and risk getting loss in the middle of nowhere by using your smartphone GPS. With this new technology of navigation devices that we now have, it could very well put the speed of your smartphone GPS to shame. We have given you our top three choices for the best car navigation devices today. It is now up to you to decide which fits your needs more and of course, your working budget.