Recently released, the Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU is one of the most popular models of GPS that Magellan has ever produced. Featuring a large screen and an intuitive user interface, the Roadmate delivers a superior user experience at an affordable price. The Magellan Roadmate is packed with easy-to-use premium features designed to make your trip simple and fun.
The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU lets you keep track of your favorite destinations using their new OneTouch favorites menu. At the push of a button you can find your favorite café or chain restaurant wherever you’re traveling. When you’re looking up an address or location, the Roadmate helps you quickly and efficiently plan your trip, by predicting where you want to go by keeping data on your previous routes. Magellan’s multi-destination routing allows you to plan your trip around multiple stops, so you can optimize your route by waypoints. The Multi-routing feature is an excellent way to plan an effective route, to save time and money, and to limit stress. The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU values your time and safety above all else, so almost every feature in the Roadmate centers around getting you to your destination quickly and without any added hassle.
- Portable navigation device
- The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU features a widescreen 7-inch touchscreen that displays at 800×480
- The Roadmate comes with advanced text-to-speech technology, so the user can pay attention to the road and the GPS will call out street names and when to turn
- The GPS comes packaged with a Lithium-ion rechargeable battery that has up to thirty minutes of battery life, but can also be recharged while running
- The Roadmate measures 4.17 inches, by 7.5 inches, by 0.63 inches thick
- Weighs 10.5 ounces
- The GPS has a highly sensitive navigation system with a built-in antenna that is accurate up to 3 meters
- The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU come preloaded with complete maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico
- The device is programmed with over six million points of interest all over the United States and Canada, including gas station, hotels, ATMs, and other businesses
- The internal processor for the Roadmate is a Samsung 2450 supporting a microSD card that can be added for extra memory
- The GPS can interface with your Mac or PC via a USB cable
- The Magellan comes with a headphone jack so you can plug directly into the device and cut out external noise
The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU combines the features of previous Magellan products with new advances in GPS technology to bring you a truly modern navigation system.
Safety Comes First
The Roadmate encourages the user to keep their eyes on the road by speaking street names and directions instead of making the user look at the screen. You’ll know exactly when and where to turn, so you’ll be able to focus on the road ahead. When you’re driving on the highway, the Magellan’s highway assist function displays what lane you need to be in, so you don’t have to make a dangerous maneuver to get to your exit.
If your car ever breaks down, the Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU includes an AAA location screen that provides your exact coordinates, so you can get help right away. The AAA location screen also displays an AAA roadside assistance phone number, so you can get the support you need when you need it.
Avoid Traffic Jams
Sitting in traffic can be aggravating; that’s why the Roadmate comes with Magellan’s brand new SmartDetour feature that routes you around slow traffic and clogged up freeways. The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU receives up-to-the-minute traffic information from its satellites and automatically calculates quick detours while you’re on the move. The SmartDetour feature is designed to ensure driver safety and keep you going, even when everyone else is stopped.
Voice Activation Programming
The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU comes standard with state-of-the-art voice activation technology. Magellan’s SayWhere system can detect when you say a street address or command and reacts appropriately.
- You’re able to download one free map update a year before you have to pay a fee
- The GPS comes with a AAA Tourbook, highlighting prominent local restaurants, hotels, and businesses
- AA roadside assistance is built-in to the GPS so you can contact a tow-truck driver with your exact coordinates from anywhere in North America
- The display’s color and contrasts adjusts automatically for easy viewing at night or in tunnels
- The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU lets you create and store personal points of interest using Magellan’s built in address book
- The GPS is compatible with trucking software, so routes will display weight and height restrictions
- The Roadmate lets you customize your route by selecting the fastest time, shortest distance, most use of freeways, or to avoid toll roads
- The Magellan’s text-to-speech feature is clear and easy to understand, which helps in loud and congested areas
- The seven inch wide screen is mush larger than other GPS units and allows the user to watch the road but always have a detailed map in their peripheral vision
- The GPS has trouble acquiring satellites on cloudy, rainy, or overcast days
- The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU doesn’t come programmed with many rural roads or dirt paths
- The displayed speed is usually a little bit slower than your actual travel speed, so the Roadmate should not be used as a speedometer (wiki)
The Magellan Roadmate 1700-MU is ready to bring you to your destination, with complete maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico as well as over six million points of interest. The Roadmate is widely regarded as one of the best GPS devices currently being produced by Magellan, and with good reason.
The Roadmate 1700-MU combines its unique style, ingenious features, and detailed travel maps to bring you an advanced navigation system at an unbeatable price. The Roadmate’s pros vastly outweigh any drawbacks that the GPS may have had, making it an excellent choice for a standalone GPS system.