One of the largest and most popular manufacturers of professional-grade GPS devices, Garmin has been producing quality navigation units since its founding in 1989. Garmin’s new line of golf watches incorporate a high-sensitivity GPS receiver with the lightweight frame of a sports watch to bring you the best of both worlds at one low price. Cleverly named the Garmin Approach, this sports watch offers the wearer useful information about over 38,000 golf courses in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico, while keeping the functionality of a regular watch.
Garmin Approach S1
The first edition of the Garmin Approach series, the S1 offers up-to-the-minute information about your golfing while keeping the functionality of a regular timepiece. As soon as you take the Garmin Approach S1 out of the box you can use it at any of the thousands of courses preprogrammed into the watch. There are no subscription fees and the GPS can be updated online for free using a USB connection. The Approach S1 is can also be used by runners to track how far they’ve traveled, and makes a great gift for any golf enthusiast.
- The S1 comes preloaded with over 14,000 courses in the US and Canada
- The watch provides yardage to front, back, and middle of the green
- The device can go up to three weeks without being charged when in watch mode, and eight hours in GPS mode
- The Approach S1 comes at a much lower price than comparable models
- It offers a simple design with user friendly menus
- The watch comes in black, white, and white with orange
- It has been superseded by other Garmin Approach models
- The current maps don’t cover every golf course in the US
- The device has a relatively short battery life if used daily
Click Here for Customer Reviews
Stylish and comfortable, the Approach S2 comes equipped with a highly sensitive GPS receiver that gives you accurate yardage to front, back, and middle of greens. The S2 also measures your shot distance and your total distance traveled, and displays it all on an easy to read LCD screen. Even though it has a large screen, the watch is very lightweight and doesn’t feel bulky when worn.
- The Approach S2 comes programmed to work on over 38,000 courses across North America
- The device displays lay up and dogleg distances
- The watch includes a handy digital scorecard
- Many colors are available for both the watch and band
- The S2 is competitively priced
- Water resistant to thirty feet underwater
- The Approach S2 turns into a high-quality digital watch when off the course
- The watch has a sleek and professional design
- The S2 doesn’t let you create custom yard markers to indicate hazards on course
- The GPS synchs to satellites slower than other models
The Garmin Approach S2 includes free course updates for the life of the product with no hidden subscription fees or costs. The Garmin maps are updated four times a year to include new holes and courses, so the S2 is always up-to-date. The watch connects to your computer through a USB port, so you don’t have to worry about the connector not working with your computer or having to buy aftermarket connectors.
Click Here for Customer Reviews
Featuring a high definition touchscreen display, the S4 is lightweight and comfortable while offering more applications than any other golf watch at its price point. The S4 incorporates a dedicated Green View button, so you can quickly and easily access a visual representation of the hole you’re playing. The watch displays precise distances to the front, back, and middle of the green, so you’ll always know exactly how far you need to hit and what club to use.
- The watch features a detailed stat tracker to help you analyze your game
- The S4 comes with an enhanced battery, which lasts up to ten hours in GPS more and six weeks in watch mode before needing to be charged
- The watch can receive emails, texts, and messages from your smartphone or cellular device
- You can input custom points such as water hazards, bunkers, and obstacles, directly into the watch from anywhere on the course
- The watch comes with an odometer to see how far you’ve walked
- The S4 comes with a round timer to keep track of how long it takes for you to play eighteen holes
- The watch is available in black, white, and black with blue
- Thee watch doesn’t come programmed with maps outside of the United States, Canada, or Puerto Rico
- The touchscreen can be very sensitive and might become activated if you put your hand in your pocket
- The interface might seem complicated to someone who has never used a Garmin Approach before
The S4 is the size of a typical sports watch, but it’s specifically designed to improve your golf game while functioning as a great watch off the green. The device comes programmed with over 38,000 courses that can be updated for free if you connect your Garmin Approach S4 to your computer through a USB port.
Click Here for Customer Reviews
The most advanced product in the Garmin Approach line, the S6 combines over fifteen years of GPS technology into a one-of-a-kind sports watch, without sacrificing any of the features that made their older watches so popular. The Garmin Approach S6 is one of the first sports watches to feature a high definition, full color, touchscreen display that offers hole-by-hole guides for almost 40,000 international courses.
- The watch gives you precise yardages to the green from anywhere on the course
- The S6 displays lay up distances to the closest hazards and doglegs
- The watch can receive emails, texts, and alerts via Blutetooth from any smart device
- You can quickly and easily track your stats using the S6’s score card and shot tracker
- The super lightweight design feels comfortable on the wrist and is waterproof up to fifty meters
- The colors on the S6’s display may look faded if used in direct sunlight
- The touchsreen can be hard to use if you’re wearing gloves
The S6 comes with Garmin’s brand new Swing Metrics training and information system that helps you play better than ever before. The Swing Metrics system comes with three features:
- SwingTempo — The S6 times your backswing and downswing, and converts the time into a ratio that you can track and study.
- TempoTraining — Many famous golf coaches say that the perfect golf swing has a backswing to downswing ration of 3:1. The TempoTraining feature helps you perfect your timing by playing a tone when you should start your downswing, helping you synchronize your time with the professionals.
- SwingStrength — The watch also keeps track of how hard you swing, so you can compare your normal swing to your full swing. This is great for when you’re at the driving range and want to practice making consistent shots.